It’s Summer season here in Australia. And that means three things : 1. It’s bloody hot. 2. The best seafood is around. 3. It’s salad time. It’s too humid to be sitting around waiting for slow cooked meals and roasts in the oven around this time of year, so simple and delicious salads are an all round winner. This is my favourite salad at the moment .. I could eat a whole bowl of it and be completely satisfied.
** Pre-heat oven to 180*C
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 1/2 a block of danish fetta, broken into decent size chunks
- a large handful of baby spinach
- 1/2 cup of toasted pinenuts
- good quality balsamic vinegar
- good quality extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Place the chunks of sweet potato in a large bowl, season well with salt and freshly cracked pepper and a good drizzle of olive oil. Massage well with your hands making sure each piece is evenly coated with the golden goodness of the olive oil.
2. Place on a tray, with baking paper and pop into the oven and bake until just tender and a little golden
3. In another large clean bowl, throw your spinach leaves, nuts and danish fetta in, with a small amount of pepper and salt, toss gently.
4. Add the sweet potato and a little balsamic and toss gently again, being careful not to smoosh the fetta everywhere.
5. Place in a large serving bowl ready to go aside your favourite mains or simply by itself.
- You could most definately swap the sweet potato for pumpkin, or the pinenuts for pistacioes, or the spinach for rocket – it’s a pretty versatile simple salad Never underestimate the power of a simple