There’s just something special about lemon curd.. whether it’s on artifically soft white bread, with icecream, or with fruit tarts. I have to say, hands down, my Nanny makes the best lemon curd – which she calls lemon butter. Suprisingly enough, lemon curd or lemon butter isn’t hard to make.. and it makes an excellent gift
- 4 lemons
- 250g caster sugar
- 120g unsalted butter
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste
1. Juice the lemons, strain away the pips and citrus jewels and place juice into a bowl. Add the sugar and butter and place the bowl over a small saucepan of boiling water.
2. Stir the lemon mixture until all the sugar and butter has melted. In a mug, whisk the egg yolks, eggs and vanilla bean paste until smooth, pour into the lemon mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
3. Stir the mixture continuousley over the heat until it coats the back of a wooden spoon (82*C).
4. Remove the bowl from the heat and pour the curd into warm sterilized jars. Store in the fridge until use.