Winter is here, and it’s time for good old fashioned comfort food. On the plus side, it’s another no meat Monday.. :D
- 2 largish leeks, rinsed, and sliced (white part only)
- 4-6 medium sized potatos, peeled and diced
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 50g of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
-1L of vegetable stock
- 125ml of pure cream
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium sized turkish rolls
- a large handful of grated gruyere cheese
1. In a heavy based saucepan, cast iron saucepan or dutch oven on a medium heat, add the butter, leeks and small drizzle of oil.
2. Sweat off the leeks for 4-5minutes until soft, then add the garlic and thyme. Cook off for a further 1-2minutes.
3. Add the potato, and the chicken stock and gently bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer gently for 45minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
4. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth, or leave chunky… it’s up to you. Add the cream – blend again until combined well, and season with salt and pepper
To make the dippers..
1. Slice the turkish bread length ways and open up.
2. Spread with copious amounts of gruyere cheese.
4. Serve immediately.
Serves 4. If you want a bit of a meat kick, why not simmer with a smoked pork hock or use chicken stock instead ? :)