This recipe is dedicated to the Kirk newlyweds. May your marriage be as awesome as this lasagne tastes.
As most of you will already know.. One of my favourite flavour partnerships is spinach and ricotta – or rather any green veggie and some kind of cheese.. broccoli and ricotta, asparagus and peccorino, rocket and goats cheese.. *wipes drool away*. So here is another no meat monday classic.. I know it’s a day late but at least it can give you sometime to prepare for your next grocery shop..
- 1 packet of fresh pasta sheets
- 1 bunch of silverbeet, spine of each leaf discarded, and the leaves rolled and finely shredded in about 5mm thick
- 500g fresh ricotta (fresh is best, has a beautiful subtle flavour; but if you can’t find any the tub variety is fine)
- 1/2 an onion, finely diced
- 700ml of organic passata
- 1 teaspoon of crushed chilli
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic, smooshed and finely diced/minced
- 1/2 a teaspoon of dried oregano
- mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine egg and ricotta, a good crack of black pepper and a decent amount of salt – whisk until completely incorporated.
2. In a medium sized pot add the onion and garlic with about a tablespoon of olive oil, place on a medium heat. sweat off until the onion is soft, glossy and translucent. Pour in the passata, add the chilli, oregano and some salt and pepper and stir well. Bring to a gentle simmer, and leave for about 10minutes.
3. In another frying pan on a medium heat, add the silverbeet, a drizzle of olive oil, and cook until just wilted. You want it to retain most of its colour :) Set aside to cool slightly before adding it to your ricotta.
4. Place a ladel of passata sauce, on the bottom of your lasagne dish. Lay one layer of pasta sheets down being careful not to overlap too much. Scatter down a quarter of your silverbeet ricotta mixture evenly across the layer of pasta. Top with another layer of pasta sheets, cover with another ladel of sauce. Repeat this process until all your mixtures are used through, and finally top with mozzarella cheese.
5. Pop into the oven and bake for 35-40minutes.
6. Once removed from the oven, allow to rest for 10minutes before serving.
Serves 6-8 Great hot or cold.. in winter and summer.. Want to bulk it up a bit, add some shredded BBQ chicken or bacon..