This is the cupcake recipe I use over and over again. If I need flavoured cupcakes I usually add lime zest, or coconut flakes, cocoa and even sometimes frozen berries. (P.S I am also basking in the way that this photo ended up!! I love it. I am so proud – don’t judge me!)
- 125g of softened salt reduced butter, cut into cubes
- 125g of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 130g of self raising flour,
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons of milk
1. In a large mixing bowl and electric beaters, cream butter and sugar, until it becomes pale and fluffy. Press a small amount of butter between your fingertips to make sure that it’s not too granular from the sugar.
2. Still beating, add one egg at a time. DO NOT add another egg until the previous one has been fully incorporated – I usually mix on high for about 3 minutes per egg.
3. Add the flour, vanilla bean paste and milk and beat until fully incorporated.
4. Set aside whilst you line a 12 serve muffin tray with cupcake liners. Using a dessert spoon or tablespoon, fill each liner 2/3 full of batter.
5. Place in the middle of the oven for around 20minutes, or until cooked. Test by poking through the middle of the largest cupcake with a skewer. If when removed, it is clean then set aside on a cooling rack, if not place back in the oven for 3-5minutes.
6. Allow them to cool for around 30minutes to an hour before icing.
- Makes 12 – but mine only made 11 because I ate too much batter #fail